Trentham Golf Club was first formed in 1937. The club commenced by leasing land for a 9-hole course on land owned by the Trentham Co-operative Society. In October 1949, the club purchased all the land owned by the Co-operative Society and over 60 years has developed the course we have today.
To compare what the course looked like in 1946 to what it looks like today, click the link below. The historic aerial photo from 1946 shows the Trentham Co-operative Society's yards and slaughterhouse just forward of the 4th tee among the large cypress trees, most of which still exist. The club's sand greens show as white dots, some in the same place as today's greens. Some trees existed in 1949, such as those around the 15th tee, the large Manna gum on the hill on the corner of the 16th, and some roadside trees. But nearly all trees on the course, native and exotic, have been planted since the land was purchased in 1949.